Postal stationery uses from Luxembourg to Asia during the neo-classic era are exceedingly scarce. Recently, I was especially fortunate to acquire the 1882 Allegory postal stationery card [Prifix 48] shown below, posted from Diekirch, January 23, 1888, to Medan, North Sumatra, March 20, 1888.
The cover bears eight postal markings, all on the front, documenting the card's journey:
- Diekirch, January 23, 1888
- Luxembourg-Gare, January 23, 1888
- Ned-Indie/Neg.-Pakkete (struck out in blue pencil)
- Weltevreden [a few km. south of Batavia], March 12, 1888
- Batavia [now: Jakarta], March 12, 1888
- Medan, Neth. Sumatra, March 20, 1888